Thursday, August 25, 2011

Vivid Garden Sunset After Tumultuous Weather Day & Week

 
What a week ... Tuesday was the earthquake and this afternoon we had the worst thunderstorm of the year.

Close encounter

Being 35 miles from the epicenter of Tuesday's 5.8 magnitude Mineral, Virginia earthquake - we were shook up real good here in Fredericksburg.

It was quite the experience. It started rather slowly - feeling like the ground next to a passing train. Then it got really violent for about 10-20 seconds before quickly subsiding.

I was working in my backyard-facing garage at the time and after realizing that we were having an earthquake, I quickly walked into the safety of my back yard.

My biggest memories are me thinking "I can't believe this is really happening - what if this is the BIG one?" I also remember looking at my 16 foot diameter pool and seeing ocean-like waves and the water splashing over the edges. It was an awesome sight!

No major damage to the house but the siding all around is now slightly warped like an old phonograph record.

Storm of the year

This afternoon we were pounded with a nasty thunderstorm, knocking out power for about 2 hours.

7 of my 11 tomato plants were tilted to the side or completely knocked over (see image, above right). Fortunately damage was minor with several branches snapped. I added more support and the plants are as good as new this evening.

My pears, unfortunately, suffered worse. Normally we get pears every other year (biennial) but this year I was surprised to see about 100 or so growing.

The wind from today's storm dropped several dozen of my pears to the ground (see image, above left), about one month before being perfectly ripe. All is not lost with these pears though -- I will make juice from them in my juicer.

The coast is not yet clear

Next up is Hurricane Irene, scheduled to side-swipe our area Saturday night.

If anything, this week is a real eye-opener and perhaps a blessing-in-disguise to get me prepared for possible power outages and whatever else the Hurricane may bring.

Finally, before I leave you, another picture of this evening's fine sunset...




NEW
 LushGreenVA's aStore - powered by Amazon
Clutter-free shopping for vegetable gardeners. Every product hand-picked and smartly categorized by me, H. Mikael - many are similar to one's I use myself, including: Composters, Raised beds, Greenhouses/Cold Frames, Rain Barrels, Rear-tine Tillers and Cultivators

0 comments:

Post a Comment